background

Friday, August 6, 2010

There must be more than this provincial life. . .

Yep, that’s my laundry hanging out on the line. Honestly, I feel like I’m taking a step back in time every single time I do my laundry here! It’s not too bad for the big stuff, but every little pair of my girls’ socks and undies gets to be a little bit time consuming. I also don’t mind line drying for things that are supposed to be a little crisp, like sheets, for example. But I miss how soft my shirts used to feel, how lint-free my towels used to be, and how quickly I could do a large load of laundry start to finish back home.

Some people have asked to see a few pictures of this house before we move, since none of you will ever visit while we live in Mandelieu. It’s really cute, but small, and every house around here is gated and fenced. The French seem to demand privacy whenever possible. I hear my next door neighbors on each side every day, and I know they have kids, but I have never seen them. I don’t know how missionaries could ever tract here—they couldn’t access anyone’s front door. Helps with solicitors at least.













This is our front gate. It says "Villa Modesty" if you can't read it.

Once you go inside the gate, there's a long driveway of white gravel to the garage. This photo is the view of the back of the gate while I'm standing in front of our garage. 

 Here's the front view of our house and pool.

Here is our gigantic garage--our car barely fits in it.














 Here's where we have dinner outside most nights:

And here's our quite expansive back "yard:"

















Here's the only inside shot I included of the kitchen:













See, now it's like you've all visited me already and you know exactly where I live!  I'll keep telling myself that as I keep missing everyone. . .

7 comments:

Lisa Brandow said...

Do you not have a dryer? I'll bet if you do that it's terribly expensive to run.
How weird that there is no grass. I'll bet that has been an adjustment for you and the girls but how nice to have that beautiful pool. Does your new place have a pool?
Fun to see the pictures of the house. I would love to see the rest of it.

Love Ya

Lisa

MP Flory said...

Awesome title of the post! Don't you feel just like a pioneer when you hang out your wash. "Plunge and scrub, plunge and scrub...." (that's from Far and Away)

Mary said...

I'm glad Michelle told me about your blog, I've been wondering how you guys have been! We sure miss you guys but are excited for your Parisian adventures. It sounds like you will be moving soon? Where will that be to? I would love to come see you guys in France! Maybe sometime next year? I can dream about it anyway. I'm excited to hear about this new chapter for you guys. :)

-The Jenkins

Unknown said...

I can just see you out there, hanging your laundry, your hair all tied up in a rag...

amyrdh said...

I grew up hanging out laundry, even when we had a choice to dry. Your towels may be crisp but your whites will never be brighter! How much fun has it been having a pool!? We literally swim everyday. How interesting that your pool is in the front yard and your kitchen is even better than I imagined it (I watch to much house hunters international!) Miss you tons...countdown is 12 weeks!

Anonymous said...

I would visit you if I could. What a blast that would be.

ecalono.blogspot.com said...

What a darling little house Tiff. I love the cute pool and once again wish I was there. It looks absolutely beautiful there. Miss you, miss you. (I just want you to know that I have very moist eyes right now).