background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Slippery Little Suckers

Yesterday (Saturday, August 14th) was the first day the weather has been “bad” since we have been in France. It rained all day, and most of the time, it rained hard, of the cat and dog variety. My girls were so disappointed since all week we had promised them a day at the beach, but without checking the forecast first. All three girls in their swimming suits looking desolately out the window at the downpour reminded me of The Cat in the Hat. We still managed to have a little fun outside though when we noticed there were snails all over the place. The only snail my kids have ever seen is Gary from Spongebob, so to see this many was certainly novel. The girls were both fascinated and disgusted by them at first, but it soon became a game of who could spot a snail, or two. In fact, often there were two stuck together. Jenica and Jocelyn kept asking us why they were stuck together, and Jason finally answered, “Um, well. . .these snails are kissing.” That seemed to satisfy Jenica, but Jocelyn, ever aware of people and their feelings, insisted that the snails be given their privacy. She didn’t want us to pick up or disturb any of the “kissing” snails. Very polite of her, I thought.




Here are pictures of our “snail parade.” Some of the snails wouldn’t cooperate and stay in formation, and we certainly didn’t include any “kissing snails” in our line up, but overall it turned out pretty nicely. The least they could have done is throw us some candy or something. . .



8 comments:

Ju Ju said...

Yuck! I haven't seen a snail up close like that. I don't know if I would touch them. Your girls are very brave.

Heather Whitworth said...

LOL! -- Jocelyn is such a crack up... Tiff, do you remember mine and Alena's snail house we had in our bedroom growing up? Basically we just turned a toy chest into a house for our snail colony (literally). Pretty gross when you think about it now that I'm an adult, but as a kid, I thought it was the coolest!

Richard H. Glassford II said...

Wow, cool snails. I still play with snails and I just turned 49. It seemed like yesterday when my kids were little and playing with creeper crawly things.

Starting school tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. We will miss you.

Rich

Lisa Brandow said...

Those are the biggest snails I have seen. I would be freaked out to touch them.
Did I tell you I'm coming to France with Mom, Alena, and Heather.

Your girls are getting so big. Can't wait to see them.

Love ya

Lisa

amyrdh said...

Why didn't you take them in and serve them up for dinner? Mmmmm, french food! Counting down to labor day :)

Anonymous said...

Throw you some candy! Now THAT was funny, Tiff. We have snails all over our yard. Jocelyn would be very sad to know that we chuck them out in the road and hope they crack their shells. They breed like rabbits.

Stefani said...

they're huge!! my girls would have been gathering leaves for food to feed them - but NEVER touching them! :) your girls are brave!

p.s. if you're interested, send me your email and I'll invite you to my private blog. ~stefani~

Stefani said...

cardsbystefani@gmail.com

duh :)