background

Monday, August 23, 2010

Parlez-vous franҫais?

No, you don’t speak French? Well, don’t feel bad, because I don’t either. French is an extraordinarily difficult language to learn in my opinion. And it’s even harder to pronounce even sort of correctly. Believe me, I have no delusions of grandeur about the crappy Spanish I speak, but it’s crazy to me how much more comfortable I still feel even with my C+ Spanish compared to my French (which I would currently give myself an F-).


Why the sudden musings about this beautiful and complicated language? Well, because I have spent around 100 hours of dedicated study on French—even finished level 1 (of 5) of the Rosetta Stone—and yet I still couldn’t even ask a simple question like “What time is it?” when I really needed to know the other day (I now know how to ask that question). I also couldn’t tell a French girl the simple phrase, “this table is mine” off the top of my head when she thought I was clearing my trash from the only table left at a restaurant when I was really clearing the previous occupant’s trash in order to sit there myself (I was tongue-tied, but that’s a phrase I had already learned). I have learned to use 40 verbs in the present tense, and have a whole notebook full of vocabulary. However, what I’m trying to say is that even though I have spent a lot of time studying, I still can’t really say jack; I certainly can’t communicate well or carry on a real conversation. Anytime I even try to speak to people, they automatically revert to their halting, heavily accented English just because they can tell how much I am struggling. Or my favorite is when I tell someone in French that I can’t speak French, and they just repeat the same sentence over and over or say it slower, like somehow I am going to magically and suddenly know what the bleep they are saying to me. . .

I’ve only been here a month though, and it was six months before I started to feel o.k. speaking Spanish and that was trying to speak it all day every day.

Though I respect and admire French, I really, really love Spanish and feel somewhat indebted to it. No language is easy to master, and Spanish is no exception (I still haven’t even come close). However, I originally thought my limited knowledge of Spanish was hurting rather than helping me to learn French, especially when it comes to pronunciation. But now I know for a fact, it has helped immensely in the study of French. I am so grateful to have some Spanish-language background, so I didn’t have to start learning how a foreign language works from scratch. Spanish taught me what a reflexive verb is, about masculine and feminine nouns and how to make adjectives agree with the nouns they describe in both gender and number. Spanish taught me to rearrange my noun and verb when asking a question and how to structure a command. All super helpful with the French language.

So, though I feel really frustrated a lot, and stupid even more, at least I hope to learn quickly. I’m not going to give up, and it’s just gonna take a lot more time. I feel sorry for people who have to learn English. Talk about a difficult language. And, hey, at least I can say “Où sont les toilettes?” Sometimes, with three small girls, that’s the only thing I really need to know.

10 comments:

Brando said...

Oui, je parle le francaise. I can't wait for you to re-read this posting in 10 months. I really think that you will master french quite quickly. I remember the frustrations of learning all the rules, and vocab, and accent, and all of that just to find out in the end, that if there is a prettier way to bounce off one word to another, that is the new rule. Enlgish is worse, of course, but french was difficult for me. Since i was able to pick it up, i am sure that you will. Go ahead, amaze us all, like i know you will :) Good luck.

amyrdh said...

If I had your amazing brain, I may attempt to "master" another language. For me, it would be hopeless-but for you, I have no doubt that you will learn far more than you ever anticipated!

Virginia said...

I am so sorry you are struggling so much with the language. I hope the girls are finding it easier. You're doing a great job on the blog. Thanks for keeping us living vicariously through your adventures in France.

Heather Whitworth said...

Tiff, you are doing far more than I could ever do. You are doing awesome! I KNOW you will get it though. It will be fun to see how much progress you have made by February when we come see you. I'm proud of you!!!

BrendaSue said...

Quelle surprise to find your blog! (I'm speaking fren-glish) I saw your mom today at THE Cedar Hills Walmart and she told me about your blog! Je suis tellement jalouse that you get to parlez francais! I started taking French at Lakeridge Jr with Madame Christopherson . . . she was a Parisian who would tell us stories of the Nazi invasion in to France when she was a little girl and then give us bons bons if we could pronounce the words correctly. And, as smart-a** jr high kids are, we would ask her, "How do you say Seal in French?" Look it up ;)

t'aime cousine!

Unknown said...

Tiffany, your mom gave me your blog when I was over at her house the other day. Your observations of France bring back so many memories for me. I envy your experience even with all of the frustrations. Don't worry about the language. It will come. One day it will click and you will understand what someone is saying to you. It took me at least three months to reach that point and I had study french in high school and a little in college. It is different when you are in the actual country and the French speak very fast. Other french speaking people don't speak near as fast. You just have keep trying and don't worry about making mistakes becasue they are a given. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

Anonymous said...

In regards to your comment, "However, what I’m trying to say is that even though I have spent a lot of time studying, I still can’t really say jack;" let me help you. It's pronounced, Jacques. Okay, so I flunked French as well, but I'm not living there. You're so smart, it will happen. Although, not to discourage you, but I heard Rosetta wasn't that helpful. Is this true? So sorry you are alone in France. Tell Jason to get Markus a really high paying job and we'll move out there with you.

ecalono.blogspot.com said...

Oh Tiff, I miss you, I miss you. I am sooooooooooo excited to see you soon. I wish I was there with you so that we could struggle with the language together and at the very least laugh at each other when saying stupid things. But I'll be there soon, which will definitely help you to realize how superior your language skills are in comparison to mine.

Randy said...

Hi Tiffany
Brian Gallacher at XANGO gave me your blog link. I don't think my kids had you for Science. Our son Nicolas was just transferred to Nice and is having lunch with Isabelle Laroque next Wed, I believe. Glad you're digging in with the language. We lived in Austria and Switzerland and our first four learned German there and since. You, Jason and the girls are going to love your time there.
Randy Blosil

Stefani said...

I love how you write on your blog - now that I've met you in person, I can hear you saying what you're typing. :) You have a great style of writing.... thanks for sharing your France adventure! {it was great to meet you!}