background

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Marinas, Miles, and Metrics

I have found the perfect place to go running in the morning. The Port Cannes Marina is just .25 miles from our house, and there are thousands of boats parked there. It has a great paved trail wide enough to drive on all the way around it, and I can run 2 miles or 10 miles around the marina (the most I have done to date is 3.75 mi). In just 3 weeks when we move, I will have to find somewhere new.





















The only bad thing is the stagnant harbor smell sometimes—you know the salty, fishy seawater smell—but it only bothers me once in a while. These pictures are some of the views I have on my run. The population density of this area in Mandelieu must be high, because there are apartment buildings everywhere. Everyone wants to live close to the beach I guess. I don’t blame them.

 

Warning: the following paragraph is a little nerdy:

Just an aside about what I posted about the mileage I am logging while running: did you notice I reported my distances in miles and not kilometers? I bet none of you even gave it a second thought, right? I’ll admit that I am still way more comfortable with the American system of measurement, flawed as it may be. Thanks to my science background, I have some knowledge of the metric system, but it’s just not the same when you don’t use it regularly in the U.S. When the thermometer in our house read 28⁰C, I knew it felt uncomfortably hot, but until I did the conversion to 82⁰F, I didn’t realize quite how hot it really was. A kit for enchiladas I bought called for 500 grams of “poulet” (chicken) and 150 grams of “fromage” (cheese). I had no idea how much that was. Other package directions I was reading called for 200 milliliters of “lait” (milk). I have measured that amount a million times while teaching, but in my French kitchen here, I don’t have a beaker or a graduated cylinder. Needless to say, I overestimated the amount and ruined that dish. Don’t tell my students! A pizza we bought the other night on the street was advertised as 26 cm. I wasn’t sure if it would be enough for all five of us; we bought two; that was too much. It just goes on and on. It will take a while to get really comfortable with using the metric system exclusively, and I have studied it and even taught it for years. The average American would be so confused and annoyed. You’ll know I’ve really integrated into the culture here if I ever report my jogging distances in kilometers!

Jason wants me to add one more thing to this post. He went running on the same trail around the marina and found one of the nicer boats with a name on it he thinks is hilarious. He even made me and the kids take a walk to it yesterday just so we could take some pictures. So silly. His final words, “Tiff, you are not allowed to make friends with any rich, French boat owners.”


4 comments:

Heather Whitworth said...

Tiffy's Dream -- LOL...I love it! I'm jealous of that awesome running route you have around the marina. How cool! It makes me excited to come visit and see more (and your little house and yard is adorable -- so quaint and very nice!) Also, the pic of Jase and Maisy is adorable! She's such a cutie!

And by the way Tiff, I have been trying so, so hard to get Josie's blog to register on your blog. I haven't forgotten about it I promise, in fact I even had Lisa and Josie over here trying to get it all figured out, yet still nothing. I think it might be something tricky with the passwords.? I'm pretty frustrated too (as I'm sure you are as well). So sorry I couldn't get it figured out for you. I can keep trying if you'd like?

MP Flory said...

I love that pic of Maisy and Jase! Worthy of a frame. I was thinking that the Josie blog issue might have to do with the fact that we created your blog under your yahoo account and maybe you sign in with some other account when viewing. Or perhaps her permissions for you are to your gifina acct. I think it is something with that.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should not tell Jason that you've ALREADY made friends with the rich boat owners. lol.

cheraeecalono said...

Just wanted to let you know that I used this post when teaching the metric system to my students! Loved it!