background

Sunday, August 15, 2010

At the Supermarché

The grocery store, or supermarché, is such an experience here. I have blogged already about needing a Euro just to be able to get a grocery cart, and how I keep forgetting my shopping bags, so I have to keep buying new ones (it’s STILL not a habit, and I haven’t remembered to get mine out of the car yet). Even flimsy grocery bags (think Walmart) are not complimentary here, and the cheapest ones they have are .10€ each. The largest grocery store here is called “Carrefour” (pronounced “car-4”) in Antibes, and it’s awesome. I really love it. I can find almost anything there. Anyone who comes to visit us here has to go there with me just for the experience. There are two huge aisles of just yogurt, and another two of cheese and butter. They have so many kinds of butter too! The bakery is to die for, and everyone, and I mean everyone, looks so stereotypical when they leave the store with baguettes sticking up out of their bags. (There is nothing better than a fresh French baguette. They are NOT good even a day old.)

Anyway, while at a smaller Carrefour here in Mandelieu, I saw this sign in French that just made me laugh out loud. I can’t possibly be the only American to find it funny, and it’s not just because my French is so poor. I already knew that “votre” means “your” and “ici” means “here.” The rest I had to look up in my dictionary. I’ll spare you the suspense. Here’s a picture of the sign:

So sadly, no, it doesn’t really mean “Demand your tampon here.” I think it just means “Ask for your stamp here.” Still. . .kinda funny.

3 comments:

Michael said...

Okay, I am having a blast reading of your forays to the supermarket. They actually built some Carrefour's in Argentina and in one of my areas where I served for 6 months, went there every P-Day. Without a doubt, the best supermarket to shop at and I only wished they had a few more US products.

And yes, I too broke out laughing at the sign, I think it should mean exactly what we are all thinking.

Thanks for the updates and yes, we miss you guys!

Brando said...

loving watching your life, thanks for sharing. Il faut continuer a prendre des photos! Merci Bien!

Anonymous said...

I DEMAND my tampon HERE! RIGHT NOW! AHahahahahahaha!