background

Friday, October 29, 2010

Ah, Motherhood

I just have to blog about an interchange I just had with Jocelyn a few minutes ago. There I was soaking in the tub, reading a book (one of my favorite things in the world to do), and Jocelyn walks in the bathroom. She kneels by the tub and this is the exchange that takes place:

Jocelyn: “Mom, why is your stomach like that? Are you going to have a baby?”

Me: “No, Jocelyn. Definitely not.”

Jocelyn, reaching into the tub to press on my stomach, like it’s bread dough that she can pound down: “Then, why is it so big and fat like this?”

Me, thinking my stomach actually looks better now than it used to: “Well Jocelyn. Before Mommy had you and your twin sister, my stomach was nice and flat, but carrying two babies at the same time made my belly grow out to here (I show her), and it just never went back to the way it used to be.”

Jocelyn, with a concerned look on her face: “Oh.”

Me, worrying she might feel bad: “But I want you to know you were worth it, and I don’t care how my stomach looks if it means I get to have you, Jeni, and Maisy as my daughters.” Then I await Jocelyn’s outpouring of gratitude for me as her selfless and loving mother. . .

Jocelyn: “Well, it feels like mashed potatoes,” then she abruptly leaves the bathroom.

That’s gratitude for you. I think I’ll lock the bathroom door next time.

11 comments:

MyKel said...

Oh my gosh, I love it! I miss your stories! My girls would so say the same thing. Gratitude....something my family needs a lesson on. And,I know, I need a better diet plan:)

Heather Whitworth said...

seriously.....hilarious!

Brando said...

love your blogs, and jasons FB posts. I am more of an online stalker, than contributor, but really enjoy the wholesome entertaining real life situations that you guys share :)

amyrdh said...

LOL!!! Unfortunately, one day Jocie will join the ranks of post-partum tummies and will be completely appreciative and sympathethic. Until then, she may never look at mashed potatoes the same! That girl is hilarious and I LOVE this post.

Jase said...

Tiff, let's not forget how much Joss LOVES mashed potatoes, and, ergo post facto, loves you also. If she had compared it to zucchini or squash, then I'd be worried. Also, I think you're smoking HAUTE.

Stefani said...

So funny! I could see my Emme saying something like that to me. The way you wrote it I could hear it all being said in my mind - loved it!

p.s. I'm still laughing about your comment on my card night post. HAHAHA!!!! :)

Martie W Chandler said...

This was great! I think my girls still feel the same way about me! You are a great Mom, thanks for sharing these good ol' moments with us! (Brings back too many memories of similar feedback!)

Mary said...

Haha! I'm sorry but this is just too funny. Kids really don't have an edit button do they?

the WINTERS family! said...

Great story!

Anonymous said...

i love your kids. kids are the best. my mom still remembers when i asked her if she had given birth to craig and she said, "yes, honey, but he passed away" and i said, "well, you don't look like it." i can't believe i lived.

peachytiffers said...

I've had my share of those moments too. :)