background

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Crying for Candy Corns

So I am a little homesick this month. October is probably my very favorite month in Utah—not just because of Halloween and all the cute decorations and costumes, but because the weather turns cool but not too cold yet, there’s fall break from school, which teachers love as much as students do, and there are so many fun things to do with your family. Each year we like to see the witches at Gardener Village, and have hot chocolate and a donut at the bakery there; we always go to Cornbelly’s at Thanksgiving Point; we also always go to Heehaw’ s in Pleasant Grove where there’s a haunted hayride. We also always drive the Alpine loop, which is breathtaking in the fall.

My experience so far is that in France, Halloween is a very scaled down affair. At the grocery store (like Walmart) where they have two aisles of yogurt, they had about ¼ of an aisle of Halloween stuff—all of it was pretty lame too. There were a handful of kids’ costumes (mostly of the scary variety), but that’s about it. Sigh.

My girls are having a Halloween party though at their British school. I got assigned to bring a baked good. I have decided to make cookies shaped like Halloween cats. I got the idea from my sister’s friend’s blog called “Small and Simple Things.” (It’s the cutest blog with so many ideas for holidays, and I have loved her posts on Halloween ideas this month. The author is Kim McCrary, and there is a link to her blog if you scroll down on my blog list.) This recipe is darling, and the cookies are supposed to look like this when they are done:


Obviously the recipe calls for candy corns. Do you think I could find candy corns in France? I even asked some British teachers at the school if they knew where I could get some after I had looked everywhere. After I described what they were, one teacher said, “I don’t know what those are; we definitely don’t have those in England either.” Whoa. If Mother England doesn’t have candy corns, I might as well give up trying to find them in France. Extra long sigh.

So I decided to improvise. I made a trial batch of the cookies today with Jenica and Jocelyn’s help. They taste great and turned out really cute, but they just aren’t the same without candy corn eyes. I used a rectangular chewy candy that I cut diagonally to make two triangles for the eyes. We can’t get red hots here either for the nose, like the recipe calls for, so I used skittles that my friend brought when she visited instead.



I’ll let you know how the actual holiday of Halloween goes, but I’m not expecting much.  How can a country that doesn’t even sell candy corns know how to properly celebrate this holiday?  Hasn’t anyone in this country ever been to California Adventure in October? Here's to reminiscing:

Disneyland in October 2007.  Maisy was just 3 months and the twins are 3.

13 comments:

Katie C. said...

I'm not surprised. I haven't been in France during October, but when we were just in Costa Rica we heard an earful about Halloween! One particularly religious woman was irate that the United States would have such an influence on their holidays. Costa Rica does some Halloween stuff now, which makes the devote Catholics pretty upset, as that kicks to the curb the other memorial celebration they had going on.

Kim M. said...

Love the cookies, they're darling! It cracks me up that you actually have a photo of the family in front of a giant candy corn. Lisa was telling me about the girls brushing their teeth in the bidet. I laughed so hard I had to check it out for real. So funny! I happened upon the g-string sunbather. Oh, nasty! Good thing the girls aren't older, they'd have a hay day with that one. Can't wait to continue reading about your adventures. Your photos are great!

amyrdh said...

The cookies are still super cute without the candy corns. You can't get candy corns but we can't get pan de chocolate-so I would say that we are even!!

Stefani said...

They are definitely cats - mission accomplished, even with out the candy corns! :)

Heather Whitworth said...

Tiff,
Lisa and I are here cracking up at your creativity. Skittles and gummy candies eh? Awesome!!! We are actually considering sending you some if they would get there in time to make your cats look, well.... a little better. Love ya!

Lisa Brandow said...

I bought you some candycorns today. I will try and get them sent soon so that you can make your cookies with real candycorns.
Good talking to you today.

Love ya
Lisa

Ju Ju said...

I was planning on sending you some candy corn as soon as I read your post. I have some in my pantry. It sounds like others are sending you some, but if there is anything else you want (i.e. pumpkin candies, caramel squares, etc) let me know and they will be to you soon.

Dave Whitworth said...

Nice cookies. Just a thought, you could do a "French" version and make the eyes out of blanched and peeled almonds, or just slivers. Alternatively, you can wait until Heather and Lisa send you some candy corn.

Lisa Brandow said...

To send 50 candycorns in the mail and get them there by the 21st would cost $40. Decided not to send them. Sorry Tiff.

Lisa

the WINTERS family! said...

Tiffany, I checked your facebook and saw your blog address so I hope you don't mind I decided to check it out. I loved reading about your adventures. I am jealous!! What a crazy, fun time you guys are having, such great memories. The girlies are so grown up. I can't believe Maisy! I'm definitely gonna keep up on your blog!! See you soon. (on the blog, that is:0)

the WINTERS family! said...

Tiffany, I checked your facebook and saw your blog address so I hope you don't mind I decided to check it out. I loved reading about your adventures. I am jealous!! What a crazy, fun time you guys are having, such great memories. The girlies are so grown up. I can't believe Maisy! I'm definitely gonna keep up on your blog!! See you soon. (on the blog, that is:0)

irenekblack said...

Tiff, why don't you get some thin black licorice and stick in for whiskers when you pull the cookies out of the oven so it would harden as the cookies cool. Just an idea if you can find licorice in France.
Where did you get the cat cookie cutter? They are still really cute! Remember the spiders we used to make with the candy misses and black pipe cleaners for the legs glued on? That would be easy to make. Hang in there and happy fall. Mom

peachytiffers said...

They turned out cute!