background

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I’ll have three bidets, s'il vous plait

We are finally settled into our permanent home here in France, and we even received our household goods from the U.S.   It took me about a week to unpack, and I didn’t realize how sentimental I would get opening up boxes of our things, even inexpensive little stuffed animals that I knew my girls would be so happy to see again.  I was especially happy to find my cheese grater of all things.
This house is exactly how you would imagine a French villa in the French countryside, and I mean exactly.  It has an old-world feel and smells sort of musty unless you open the windows.  It is certainly not a big home based on American standards, but it is more spacious than I expected, and my kitchen has pretty much every modern convenience except a garbage disposal.  I’m embarrassed to say it’s better than I expected, mostly because I feel embarrassed to admit that a part of me thought France would be somewhat uncivilized compared to America—that I might see donkeys pulling vegetable carts, or experience lapses in electricity and running water (I blame these misconceptions on my mission to the D.R.).  Our landlord looked at me so funny when I asked him of it was safe to drink the water out of the tap.  He told me that of course it is safe.  The only really annoying thing about our living situation is that we have to drive our own garbage to dumpsters just down the street rather than take it just outside the house, but that’s no big deal anymore.  I’m used to it now.
This is a view of the house from the back with all the shutters closed
This home has real shutters that aren’t just for looks; I actually open them every day to let in light and use the windows to control the temperature rather than a thermostat.  We have grape leaves growing over most of the house.  The leaves are now turning red in the fall—so pretty.  The yard is big and has beautiful landscaping, which gives the home lots of privacy, a commodity the French seem to demand in even the smallest of homes. 























Here is the view out of Maisy’s bedroom into the front yard.  I love the terra cotta roof and majesty of the large shrubbery.










The furnishings inside the home are very modest, and almost all the furniture came with the house.  I think 99% of it came from IKEA.  One piece that is certainly not from IKEA is my favorite item in the home.  It’s a large antique wardrobe that Jason uses for his clothes.  It looks like it would transport all of us to Narnia if we got inside.  




A stereotype about Europeans that has turned out to be true so far is their love affair with the bidet.  We don’t use them much in the US, and I’ve certainly never owned a home with one bidet, let alone three.  That’s right, our house has three bidets!







Whoever built this home actually traded counter space and drawers for a bidet in the master bathroom.    Unreal. 
My girls took one look at the bidet when we moved in and said, “I love the little sink they put in for us, Mommy.  That will make it so easy to brush our teeth!”  So, yes, all three of my girls use the bidet in their upstairs bathroom as a sink to brush their teeth rather than for its intended purpose.
  

12 comments:

Michael said...

Hmmm, the bidet... I remember the first time I saw a bidet in Argentina and could not figure out what it was. It was several more months before I actually understood its purpose. As frightening as it may sound, I learned to truly appreciate its intended purpose, especially when I was not feeling so swell.

However, now that I think about it, your girls may be on to something. As much as you like your counter space, this is the perfect height for the little ones. I'll send my girls over soon!

Great to see that you are getting settled and can't wait to read about more of your adventures!

Katie C. said...

Haha! That's awesome that your kids thought the bidet was a kids sink! I heard Amy had a great trip! Wish we could go... hopefully sometime when you're there

Alena Larson said...

Tiff, Maisy is getting so big...and it's only been just a couple of months! She is sooo cute brushing her teeth in the bidet. We miss you! Alena

Unknown said...

I want a bidet for my preschool kids! We miss you guys. Your home is absolutely gorgeous and very French :)

Ju Ju said...

So funny! I love the pictures. Your home looks so beautiful. I want to visit now more than ever. Kaylee loves looking at pictures of the girls and constantly tells me that they are in France, but they will all play when they get home.

ecalono.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful home Tiff! I agree Maisy looks so big and TAN, she's so gorgeous. Love the shutters, and I'm so thrilled to have my first bidet experience with the Pierces.

amyrdh said...

Moving to France made you take over the spot as my most affluent, sophisticated friends-but the awesome truth that your kids use the bidet as a sink makes you just as regular as the rest of us! Hilarious! I can say from experience that your home is BEAUTIFUL :)

irenekblack said...

Thanks for making a long posting on the blog. Loved your home, especially the grape vines. Can't wait to see it in four months. So glad Amy got to come for a visit. The grandkids are getting more adorable all the time! We love you
all, Mom and Dad

Stefani said...

Wow - I loved all those pictures, it must be so amazing to be on this adventure. I'm still chuckling at Maisy and the bidet!! So Funny!!

Randy said...

Our kids used our bidets in Austria for washing hands and brushing teeth too. From an adult perspective, you gotta ask yourself, what do the Europeans know that we should about . . . that.

Anonymous said...

love the digs. so romantic.....

peachytiffers said...

Wow, now that I have gone all the way back, I want you to know. I have been reading EVERY post as you do them, but have not been good about leaving you comments. I didn't realize that it has been so long since I left you a comment. Sorry, I'll be better soon. Life has been giving us lemons.