background

Monday, November 8, 2010

Jenica eats a snail

Now, I will begin this post by saying I like escargot.  Really.  When it’s cooked well with tons of garlic butter, what’s not to love?  They have the texture and flavor of a buttery mushroom, and I am definitely a fan.  However, the ones you can buy from all the local stores are just OK, not amazing.  They are fairly cheap, compared to restaurant prices, and effortless to prepare.  All you do is take off the plastic wrap and bake for 10-11 minutes.  I still only give them about 4 out of 10 compared to some that we have eaten in restaurants in Paris, for example.  That’s why I couldn’t believe Jenica was willing to try one of these cheaper snails that really don’t look all that appetizing to me.  Look at them yourself and see if you would want to eat these:
This is Jenica hodling the the snails straight out of the fridge


Here they are after being baked
   

Here is a snail after it was pulled out of its shell.  Would you want to eat that?


I expected the reaction we got from my other two girls.  Check out this video, and you won’t be able to miss Maisy’s distaste at the thought of even being near a cooked, green snail, let alone eating one:


We shot two other videos of this experience that we didn’t include.  All in all it took Jeni about 5 minutes to finally stop making excuses and eat it.  I had to eat the first one she picked, just to show her it was good, and Jason ate some in front of her too.  Then she decided she would really go for it and ate it.  The funny thing to me is that she appears to gag on the snail and have trouble with the texture as she eats it, but she still SAYS she likes it.  I don’t know, do you believe her?

As you saw, you have no trouble believing how Maisy and Jocelyn feel about these snails! 

17 comments:

MP Flory said...

Carter: Great job Jeni for trying it. I like the part when Maisy was screaming. Why do you eat them? It looks like a dippy donut with a shell over it.

Haleigh: I HATE snails. Great job Jeni. I wonder what your house looks like. I like the part when Joci was holding the bowls, I thought it was funny and when Maisy screamed. They look like a big fat chubby cheek.

Katie C. said...

I'm feeling the initial gag was out of shock, like, I'm chewing on a snail. This brings back good memories! Your kids are so adorable!

amyrdh said...

I love everything about these videos: Maisy emphatically refusing, Jocie with gerber bowl eyes, and Jeni graciously gagging on the snail while politely endorsing it. The perfect cross section of your girls' personalities. This post was AWESOME...can't wait to show my boys. Miss all of you tons-give my spelling superstars kisses from me!

Katherine. said...

That is totally hilarious! I love the gagging, and insisting that she likes it! So darling!
Katherine L.

Brando said...

Whats next? Mussels? Oooo, that would be a great video!!!

Ju Ju said...

We were laughing so hard while watching this. Even thought I knew she was going to eat it and like it, I wasn't expecting it. And no, I don't believe she really liked it after watching, I thought she liked being the brave one.

Heather Whitworth said...

Oh my gosh, that was seriously so funny to watch. How I miss those girls! Nora was watching this with me and wanted to know why Jenni was eating that "bug." After I explained to her that we can eat them for food... She said: "I want to watch Jenni again!"

Heather Whitworth said...

Oh and BTW Tiff, I am going to show this video to my students when we do our "Cultural Food" taste testing day. I have them try interesting foods like Nori (seaweed), Quinoa, Potato Crackers, Pickled Ginger Root, etc. This will be perfect for when they are complaining, I can say: "Hey, if a 6 year old will try Escargot and like it, then you can try a dang piece of seaweed you big wimp!"

Mary said...

Wow! What a brave girl. But I'm with Maisy. There's no way you're getting me to even get close to a snail.

Heather Whitworth said...

Tiff, I love your new blog layout and I love the header picture. So cute! That must be from the guy you were telling me about that wanted to meet over coffee and a pastry to discuss the pictures? He did a good job anyway. I also saw that you called me the other day but I was teaching and couldn't answer. I work on Friday the 19th this week and then I'm off for a week and a half so call me... I would love to chat!

Monkey Manners said...

yum... that looks scrummdidlynaucious! Love it!

-Brynn

Kim M. said...

Jenica, you're so brave! LOVE your new family photo. What a beautiful family. Happy Thanksgiving!

Wendi said...

Oh. my. gosh. I can't even believe it.

Ew.

:)

irenekblack said...

Grandpa just watched the video and we had a good laugh. Maisy and Jocelyn were hilarious! Jenny is so brave for trying. Grandpa wants to know what kind of snails
they are. He said we raised more snails than tomatoes so maybe we'll try them next year. We love you guys. Grandpa and Grandma

the WINTERS family! said...

My family just watched this video. So cute what a great memory! Way to go Jenni, our kids tried them on a cruise, but I wasn't brave enough. Wow I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

love the videos. the girls are cracking me up.

peachytiffers said...

hahahahahhahahahhahahahhahaha