background

Monday, September 26, 2011

My New Favorite Song

I have to blog about something that NEVER happens.  I'm not talking about finally being able to stay up past midnight without drooling on my shirt whilst trying to watch a movie with my husband.  No, sadly, I still can't manage that one.  I am talking about discovering a song that I absolutely loved, then introducing it to Jason, and he first, also liked it, and second, had NEVER HEARD OF IT!!!  If you know me or my husband, you know that's a feat that defies nature.  Here's why: he is a music afficionado.  He seems to know something about every genre (except maybe country music) and also most artists (even ones he won't readily admit).  I, on the other hand, have always been a little clueless in that department.  Like anyone, I enjoy music, but Jason is the one who loads my iPod, buys me CDs (to this day I have never bought myself a CD), and downloads songs he thinks I might like from iTunes.  Basically, my link to music and especially anything current is through him.  Pathetic, I know.

Anyway, I was listening to this song on a local English-speaking radio station called "Riviera Radio," and I had heard it once before as well.  I thought it was maybe a new single by "Barenaked Ladies," since it sort of sounds like them a little.  I kept singing the melody to Jason, trying to figure out the name of the song.  I thought it was called "You're My Always," or "My Shining Star," but I had no idea.  The radio station DJs never say who sings what, so I was on my own.  This song is catchy though, and I was positive it had to be a hit, and I was just the musical idiot who is, like always, behind the times.  But a strange thing happened: as I sang bits of the song to him, Jason could not place it to save his life, and that has never happened before in 14 years of marriage.

Again, we didn't know the name of the band or the song, so we started searching on YouTube using phrases from the song that I could remember.  It was tough, but Jason finally tracked down the song.  It's by a Dutch band named "Ten Sharp," and the song is called "You."  It has only been available for download on iTunes since May of this year, but get this:  the song was recorded almost 20 YEARS AGO in 1992, and it never crossed over to America for some reason.  I can't figure it out.  This song should be huge in America.  Or maybe I'm just so out of touch with America's musical preferences that I shouldn't have an opinion about that.  (However, it can't just be me.  This song was a #1 hit in France and several other European countries.)  Why don't you listen to it and see what you think?  It's worth it for the piano alone, which is truly outstanding.  Then tell me if you like the song as much as I do!   

Before you do though, I have to warn you the video is sort of dumb.  It'e very European--it's just a bunch of young attractive people sailing around in what looks like the French Riviera.  But video aside, do you like the song?  Could it be the next big hit in America now that it can finally be found on iTunes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsc-oT9PsSQ

Did you like it?

5 comments:

Michael said...

Tiff, I must admit, there is something a little catchy to this song. I even felt the need to listen a couple of times just to see if I still liked it and yes, I do. But that could be a problem, since I like that genre that Jason doesn't like as much as others.

You totally get a high five for the fact that you found a song that Jason has never heard of, now the question is had he heard of the group?

I'm actually jealous of the fact that Jason loads your iPod because it takes me forever to find songs to run to. I imagine he has song lists upon song lists that are perfect for keeping your mind off the pain.

Ultimately, good song, as for if it hits my iPhone, probably not for running too...

Lisa Brandow said...

Tiff,

My kids were laughing hysterically at the video. They don't appreciate 90's music. We now have the song stuck in our head. I liked the song but agree that it isn't for running. I need angry music when I run.

Lisa

Jase said...

What can I say? It's not like I lived in Europe when the song came out. Oh wait--ummm, checking. Yes. Yes, I did. This is a Dutch band and I lived in Belgium at the time, which are TOTALLY different countries which is why I never heard of the band or the song (as catchy as a Richard Marx b-side).

In my defense, it was a musically confusing time for all of us. Getting pumped up by Technotronic, standing in the places we loved with REM, sweating with C&C Music Factory, and never letting Depeche Mode down again. Not to mention the generational shock and bereavement we all felt about the Milli Vanilli dethronment (I, for one, blame the rain). So, this one must have slipped through the cracks.

If I just had the good sense to create iTunes back then, things would have turned out much differently. MUCH differently indeed.

Heather Whitworth said...

Yes, it's very 90's but catchy none the less and I do like it (reminds me of music from when I was in High School). Lisa's right, angry music all the way for running though. And Jason... you are hilarious, thanks for your disclaimer.

peachytiffers said...

I am just like you Tiff in how Jake brings most of the music I listen to to me. I also hardly ever know who is singing it or what the song is called, I'm just no good at that, and I also don't ever really care enough. Jase, your comment trying to save your reputation cracked me up, actually laughed out loud! Um, it was fine, made me want to put on some cut off shorts, a demin jacket, and find a scrunchy though.