background

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stand by Moi

I just got home from my new job.  And yes, it’s a teaching job.  (What else am I qualified for, right?)  But it’s unlike any teaching job I have ever had: 

·         First, it’s English teaching and not science. 
·       Second, the kids are younger than I am used to.  The ages of my students range from 8 to 10-years old. 
·         Third, my class size is 9.  (That’s a big difference from the class size of 36-40 I am used to.)
·         Finally, the kids do not speak English, and therefore do not understand a word I am saying!

Half of me feels giddy with the fact that I am back doing what I love.  I genuinely loved being a teacher in America, and I have truly missed it since we moved to France.   I taught for 13 years.  I had thought of myself as a “teacher” for so long, that without it, I almost felt like I had lost a part of my identity.  Teaching was what I knew.  It wasn’t ever easy, but it was comfortable. 

The other half of me is wondering what in the world I have gotten myself into.  In typical “Tiffany fashion,” I had over-prepared, and it only took me five minutes to figure that out.  I assumed since I have the older, “more advanced” class, that I would be helping mostly fluent children with grammar, spelling, and reading in English.  All the teaching materials I received indicated as much.  But when I handed out a 5-page (but simple and age-appropriate) pretest to help me plan the 11-week curriculum, and then told the kids to begin by writing their name on their papers, all I got in return was 9 blank stares.  Yeah, I pretty much knew at that point that I had over-prepared. And way overestimated the ability level of my students. 

Luckily, I had some fun activities planned, and I was able to modify like crazy.  I think the kids enjoyed themselves, and I did too, though I now remember how exhausting teaching is.  As I spent more time with the kids, I realized they are definitely not beginners; they just need a lot of practice and have forgotten a lot.  They may also have a more difficult time with my American accent rather than the UK English they are used to hearing.  (I was already asked by my boss to redo worksheets I had made with British spelling rather than American, so "color" is "colour," and "favorite" is "favourite."  Whatever.)  Truly the hardest thing about the experience was when a couple of the kids didn’t have the skill or understanding to do what I asked, they would just tune me out and start talking to one another in French.  When I asked them to stop or pay attention, it was like they didn’t even hear me!  They weren’t being disrespectful; they just didn’t understand I was talking to them until I got them to look at me.  So I had to use a lot of eye contact and body language and motioning to get them to understand.  Of course, writing everything I said helped too.

I only teach on Wednesdays (the day French kids have off from regular school) from 9:00-12:00.  So on paper, and compared to what I am used to, this job should be a breeze!  But actually, I am sure it will be fairly challenging.  And like always, it will take far more prep than it’s worth monetarily, but such is the life of a teacher.  That was one part of the job where I definitely knew what to expect!     

4 comments:

Heather Whitworth said...

So interesting Tiff. I can totally relate to you when you say you feel like you have lost some of your identity in teaching. I hope this new job will be rewarding for you and help you find your teaching nook again. Love ya! Hope Jase got home safe and sound.

Virginia said...

Your teaching gig sounds like fun! We miss you and the girls in the neighborhood.

Jase said...

I'm glad to see that Tiff is taking an interest in something extracurricular besides the pool boy! J/K. I am happy that Tiffany gets to try out her French, her teaching skills, and also test the limits of her multicultural patience. I hasten to add that this exploratory experience IN NO WAY impacts Tiffany's visa status as a non-salaried foreign resident. Just wanted to make that clear. But I'm proud of Tiff for going (again and again) well beyond her comfort zone. Tres bien, ma cherie.

peachytiffers said...

You are amazing to be trying that out, I would be way too scared!! What a fun experience though!