background

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Daddy Diary - Day 1

From the Desk of Jase:

So we recently had 3 dear houseguests come for the last week for a visit through Paris, the Riviera, and forays into Italy, which Tiff can report on separately. Since we actually do not live in Paris (blog title notwithstanding), this meant that Tiff took off for 2 days on the front end of the trip, starting on Sunday.

And really, for the rest of the week, I knew that Tiffany was going to be busy entertaining guests. The girls and I quickly hatched a plan to make the week go quickly. Knowing what I was up against (mainly the inarguably superior care of their mother), I had to be deliberate to assure my girls that I could adequately get them through a week of school, homework, dance, and piano lessons. Plus non-McDonald-ish meals and getting them to bed at a reasonable time. All while trying to get in my normal 12-hour work day.

Step 1: Ingratiation

"Kids, let's go buy some new hamster tunnels for your Zhu Zhu pets!"



Parenting tip--Zhu Zhu mechanical hamsters are better than real hamsters. If there are any hamsters reading this blog (or, more likely, being read to), well, I'm sorry. But facts are facts. Zhu Zhus simply represent a superior species--less fur, less mess, less escaping, less treats. All around positives. And the manufacturers know that they have you over a tiny barrel, which is why Zhu Zhu accessories (tunnels and stuff) cost MORE than accessories for real hamsters. So buy fake hamsters with real accessories if you're being economical these days.

This kept them busy for hours, which allowed me to move to the next stage.

Step 2: The Wonders of the Internet
Only 3 seconds of searching for hamsters brought me to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDMNHvnIxic about a hamster on a piano. Endless remixes abounded....

Step 3: Reenactment

Thusly inspired, the kids moved on to this stage with our snazzy new Casio keyboard




Day 1 closed out with me making (NOT reheating) hamburger gravy, green beans, and dessert pizza. Okay, Tiff did prepare the frosting ahead of time, but the girls whispered incredulously, "Dad, I think you make this even better than MOM!" Thanks for overlooking the burnt dessert pizza crust, girls.

Hmm..hair down and not done well by Dad. This feels like foreshadowing.
Not too shabby for Day 1. But then....I got to thinking. What other reenactments might we be able to work up? Maybe related to October and the fall season...

2 comments:

MP Flory said...

These reenactments are looking quite close to a "show." Carter would be so proud!

Jase said...

Quick point of clarification--the girls wanted me to point out that the name of this sprawling metropolis is New Hamsterdam.

My proposal was to name it Jaseville, but I was outvoted.