background

Monday, October 10, 2011

Because I Have Been Given Much

Attending the Cannes ward has been an equally frustrating and uplifting experience. While there are many comforting similarities to our ward in Utah, there are also some vast cultural differences.  For example, I recently had two of the weirdest experiences at church.  First let me preface that, in general, the members here have all been warm, friendly, refreshingly anti-materialistic  (especially in contrast to the normal population of this area), welcoming, and normal.  And now having said that, read on . . .

The first strange experience happened just two days ago on Saturday night.  I was asked to give a presentation for a Relief Society activity (with the assistance of a translator) about how to foster a love of reading with young children.  I put quite a lot of effort into the assignment, brought many visual aids and examples, and with a lot of help from my French tutor, I wrote many headings and captions in French to organize my presentation and to keep the interest of my audience. These were all printed in large fonts, spell-checked and proofread correctly for French grammar, and prepared well in advance. And it seemed to go over well! My message was being delivered AS INTENDED. In fact, the audience even laughed when they were supposed to and nodded in agreement with many of my points.  Being it a Relief Society function, I had also taken the time to dress nicely in a dress and heels.  So I was feeling pretty confident after I finished, and I was supremely relieved since I had been really stressed for over two weeks about how I was going to pull off this assignment to a French audience. 

However, during a short break, a woman whom I have never met and only barely recognized started a conversation with my by saying  she had noticed my Calvin Klein purse.  Because my French is too poor to be able to say, “Yep, I got it for super cheap at TJ Maxx,” I just smiled and nodded. 

Then she says in broken English, “I bought a bathing suit that’s Calvin Klein from the internet.  It came from America.”

I thought, “OK. . .How nice for you?” 

She continued:  “But it didn’t fit me.  Would you maybe want to buy it?  I have it right here.” 

I thought for sure I had misunderstood, but in an instant, she pulls out this hot pink one-piece right out of her bag.  Before I could even make sense out of what was happening, she says, “I paid $120, and you can have it for only 30.  What’s your size?  I think this will fit you.”

First of all, the suit was NOT my size—it was much too big for me, and all I could think was, “Well, I’m never wearing THIS dress again!!!”  But then, I am embarrassed to admit another side of me thought, “That actually is a really cute bathing suit.  I wonder if I could make it work.”  Then of course I slapped myself and told her no thank you.  By any account a strange encounter though, right?!?

Then the second weird experience happened maybe a month ago.  After Primary one Sunday, the nursery leader comes up to me holding this ratty, nasty-looking stuffed CLOWN of all things and says in broken English, “Sister Pierce, this clown was donated to us, but it scares most of the little children.  Do you want to take it home?  Maisy seems to really like it.”  In my mind I am thinking, “Lady, are you crazy?  Didn’t they ever release the movie ‘Poltergeist’ in this country?”  But then Maisy says, “Mommy!!  Yes, let’s take him home.  I named him ‘Fluffy the Clown,’ and I really want him!!”  I cannot stress enough in this blog post how much I did NOT want to take this germ-infested, creepy clown, that’s as big as Maisy, home with me that day.”  But apparently, I’m a pushover, because it’s been in her room for a month.





 Yes, she still loves “Fluffy the Clown.”  She sleeps with it, and plays with it, and I just have to turn away.  And sometimes breathe deeply into a paper bag. . .or sit down and put my head between my knees.  I really want to get rid of it, but Maisy told me no way.  She at least agreed for me to put Fluffy away while we have company in town who will use her room. I am really hoping she forgets about him after the company leaves.  I guess my other option is to let her watch “Poltergeist” . . .

 If it were only a little smaller, I could carry it around in my purse and try to sell it to unsuspecting people. Real cheap. And say it came from America.



6 comments:

Katie C. said...

Haha! I loved how you posed the clown at the end :) Out of curiosity, was the sister a French native?

peachytiffers said...

Ha! At least that clown is cuter than any other clown I've ever seen! Glad you're lesson turned out! You always go above and beyond!

Heather Whitworth said...

Oh Tiff, you make me laugh! ... out loud in fact. Thanks for the story. I'm glad you are making the best of it. And apparently Maisy is getting the best out of it too.

Ju Ju said...

Clowns are creepy! You are nice to let it into your house. I am such a germ-maniac I don't think I would do it! You are a great mom! Brandon just got back from Spain. I obviously didn't get to go or I would have called you. I am still holding out for someday...

Jase said...

Hmm...no one has ever pulled a gently used Speedo out for sale during EQ. I must not have crossed the social barrier yet regarding the sale of used swimwear during worship services.

I was pretty weirded out by Fluffy at first, but now he fits right in. As stuffed, toy clowns go, he is fairly cute and, as long as our villa isn't built over a Native American graveyard, we should be fine. Just fine...

BrendaSue said...

Hey Tiff and Jason, What is your email address? I am thinking that I need to come over and visit in November for a couple of days, if you are still in the mood for crazy cousins as guests. Thanks! ;)

Brenda