background

Friday, December 17, 2010

Proud to be a "Conservative" American

I have been questioning my former American way of life of late. Why, you ask? Because since mid-November we have basically been feeling like we must be the most wasteful family on the planet. Below you will find the water usage report for the six homes on our cul-de-sac. The numbers represent cubic meters of water used in a certain time period (I think it’s a quarterly report, but I could be mistaken). These are the actual numbers of water usage, and I have used the actual names of all home owners on the form I was given. I promise I am not making any of this up:
 Khil                   517
Ducrocq           335
Blanc                356
Lousse          2,093
Renot               134
Velasco            187

Would you like to know which home we live in? You guessed it—our landlord is named Monsieur Lousse, and my little American family of five apparently used about 6 times what the average other home used on my street.

Our landlord was understandably concerned. We had agreed on a certain monthly price for utilities. Our usage was so far above what he estimated we would use that he wanted to send us a bill for 4,000 Euros to make up the difference over the past few months (that’s almost $6,000), and that’s when WE became “understandably concerned.” We knew water was expensive in France, but with these rates, it would be cheaper to bathe in champagne.

I have to stop and defend myself a little here. I was raised to be conservative. Let me tell you, I was raised to conserve not only water but all utilities. All my life after a few minutes of water running to fill up the bathtub, there was always a brisk knock on the door, “Tiffany—that’s enough water now.” It was a cardinal sin in my family to leave the lights on when you left a room. You didn’t leave the water running when you brushed your teeth, and you most definitely did not shower longer than about 10 minutes tops. Ask anyone, my parents have energy efficient EVERYTHING, including fluorescent bulbs, extra attic insulation, their own 500-gallon propane tank they use for cooking, and they even have solar panels on their home. Though my parents are not politically liberal, you would think they were the biggest tree huggers their side of the Rockies, and I am including all residents of Oregon. Mostly my parents taught us to be careful with our usage of public utilities for the sake of conserving money and to promote self-sufficiency, and I appreciate every lesson I learned. As an adult I am anything but wasteful with my water usage, or so I thought. . .

Jason and I began to really fret over this issue. Why did we use so much more water than our neighbors? Everyone knows Europeans don’t bathe that much, right? I mean, that must be why they all have bidets. Also, I have three kids. That’s a lot based on European standards, and I probably do way more laundry than anyone else on my street. We also do one load of dishes every day! We probably flush the toilet too much too! Oh why do Americans have such big families and go to the bathroom so much?!? I told Jason I guess we were just going to have to limit our kids’ fluid intake, and start doing dishes by hand, but I’m not really willing to bathe less. Maybe my kids could go every three days instead of every other? But I had to ask myself, are MY OWN PERSONAL baths really worth $6,000.00?????

After a whole month went by, we finally realized maybe the problem wasn’t just us and our American consumption patterns. Maybe it was a bigger problem. Sure enough, after first locating and then checking the meter attached to the house, a thought dawned on us, “Hey, those little dials shouldn’t be spinning so fast when we aren’t even using any water!” So, according to the meter, we discovered there had to be a leak somewhere to the tune of about 1 cubic meter of water EVERY HOUR!! We immediately notified the landlord, who immediately sent someone over the check it out. Sure enough, the repairman located a leak on an external, underground pipe. By the very next day, it was completely fixed.

So, yes, I’m exonerated!! Even though our landlord is FURIOUS that the leak continued for a month after the initial report (whoops), and that now HE has to pay the extra water costs and not us (sucks to be him), I now know my parent’s conservation lessons were not for nothing! I am NOT a wasteful American, but an environmentally conscientious one. Thank you, Mom. Thank you, Dad. Furthermore, the best thing about this story is that I don’t have to contemplate giving up bathing anymore.

12 comments:

Katie C. said...

That is SO interesting! Even more interesting that your landlord assumed you American's used six times as much water and didn't check the dial himself. I was starting to worry for you. Where did all that water go?

MP Flory said...

The same thing happened to us when we lived in someone's home "house sitting." There's nothing I would trade for my bubble bath time. It's precious!

Stefani said...

I'm with Katie - how come he just assumed it was the wasteful Americans?? You'd think as a landlord that you would check the dwelling AND the tenants, not just automatically blame the tenants... I'm so glad you aren't going to be forced to bathe less :), or pay $6000 for water! That's crazy!!

The Pierce Family said...

I didn't mean to vilify my landlord. Initially, he did wonder if something else was going on besides just our usage and told us to check the meter (but we didn't know how, and his English isn't that great--he lives in Belgium). He just told us our usage was "far greater" than our neighbors. We were the ones who assumed it must just be our usage because there was no sign of leakage anywhere on the property or in the house, and he totally accepted that.

Then when he tried to charge us and showed us the numbers, that's when we said, "Um, I think we'll figure out how to check the meter first." It really was our fault that a whole month went by, so he had given us a reasonable amount of time to figure out what was really going on.

amyrdh said...

bathing is highly overrated anyways-right!?

irenekblack said...

Thanks Tiff, it's just in my blood to be conservative because my parents were worse than me. Can you imagine. So your kids will be frugal also, hopefully. Glad you didn't have to pay the $6,000.

Ju Ju said...

As soon as I saw your post I was going to write to you and tell you to check for a leak somewhere. I am glad you found out what was going on.

I need to tell you the rest of the Kaylee story. This is how it went."Mommy, we need to invite Joci and Jenny." "They are in France sweetie, we can invite them, but they can't come back just for your birthday." "But they said they would be home when I am five and I am five now." "You will be five for a whole year, they will be back when you are five, but not right now."

She misses them a lot. Tell Jocelyn we would save her some cake, but it wouldn't taste good. We will have to make a welcome home cake when you get back.

Heather Whitworth said...

Tiff, such an interesting post. And yes, I will second the part about mom being so "conservative" with the water and lights. Bless her! Now I find myself doing it with Nora with me as the Mommy. What I would be interested to see now, is what your water usage is with the leak fixed?

BrendaSue said...

Hey Tiffany and Jason! Thank you for your cute Christmas card!! I'm so happy to read your adventures here on your blog and to see that you are doing well!! I have some exciting news! I got a job with Delta so I will be able to fly for "free" to come and see you!! It's looking like it might be in August or September 2011 if you're still in Nice!

Merry Christmas!!! Love you and your sweet family!

cheraeecalono said...

What about all the water in the basement though? Do you remember when the gardener was there, all your boxes were ruined? Is that where the extra water went?

Just a thought... BIDETS are cool and all but nothing like taking a bath!

peachytiffers said...

We almost didn't buy this house because of a huge leak in the pool somewhere, but the bank fixed it. Woo hoo!! Always good to be thining green but I'm glad Jase didn't give up daily showers, even if I would be able to start smelling him all the way over here and feeling like we were closer because of it. You don't want to seem too French. :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if there was a leak...that happened to us in SLC....main line leak. I love catching up on the shenanigans in France. I've got a lot of reading to do!